New regulations for international students finalized, will take effect on June 1, 2014.
The changes include:
- Study Permits will only be issued to applicants who enroll at a designated educational institution.
- Elimination of Off-Campus Work Permit — Study Permits will automatically authorize the holder to work off-campus for up to 20 hour per week
- Co-op Work Permit only allowed at a designated institution or a secondary school
- Study Permit becomes invalid 90 days following the completion of studies
- Visitors may apply for a study permit from within Canada if they are at pre-school, primary or secondary level
The list of designated educational institutions will be determined in coming months.